Five more favorites from the 2013 desk calendar:
- November 2 – “Many things cause pain which would cause pleasure if you regarded their advantages.” Baltasar Gracian, 17th century Spanish writer
- August 20 – “No great thing is created suddenly.” Epictetus, ancient Greek philosopher
- May 16 – “He that wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.” Edmund Burke, 18th-century English statesman
- December 24 – “Never get to fascinated by the extraordinary that you miss the ordinary.” Magdalen Nabb, English novelist
- January 21 – “Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive.” Martin Luther King Jr.